Vermiculite is used in the construction, agricultural, horticultural and industrial sectors. At Sun Silicates, we exfoliate Vermiculite in our natural, gas-fired plant. This ensures a top quality, sterilised product.
When subjected to heat, Vermiculite has the unusual property of exfoliating or expanding into worm-like pieces. This dramatically increases its volume and absorption ability. This characteristic of exfoliation is the basis for many commercial uses of the mineral and is the result of the mechanical separation of the layers during the rapid conversion of contained water into steam.
In the process, we effectively remove any foreign materials and also classify the product so that the coarser grades are dust free.
Vermiculite is insoluble in water and all organic solvents. It is completely safe, non-carcinogenic and easy to handle.
Some of the many uses of Vermiculite are:
- As a growing medium: Vermiculite absorbs more than 200% of its weight in water, thereby keeping plants wet for long periods and reducing the need for regular irrigation.
- As ceiling insulation: Vermiculite has excellent insulation characteristics and high temperature capabilities (non-smouldering/burning/melting). This not only saves energy but also protects your building from the rapid spread of flames in case of fire. It is a non-irritant and easy to spread, making it an ideal DoIt-Yourself project to save electricity costs while also making it safer for your family.
- As cavity wall insulation: Vermiculite is light and has good flowing properties that makes installation easy. It can also be treated to prevent moisture absorption and will therefore remain effective for many years.
- As low density screeds: Vermiculite can be mixed with cement to form an insulating plaster that has high temperature capabilities. Enquire about our refractory mixes for furnace insulation.
- In gunning mixes: Vermiculite is used to protect steel structures giving buildings the required fire ratings required by law.
Since we produces both Perlite and Vermiculite, we can offer you the correct product for every insulating, construction or horticultural application.
Sun Silicates can also do custom blends for its customers.